Bristle Face. Zachary Ball
Holiday House, 1962; Awarded 1965.
Synopsis: Half-dog, half porcupine in appearance, Bristle Face becomes an outstanding dog and good friend of the fourteen-year-old orphan boy who adopts him.
Themes: Fox hunting, dogs, friendship, orphans
1. Why did Jace leave his home? What would you do in his situation? Standard 3, Benchmark 3
2. Why do you think Lute is running for Sheriff? How do Jace and Bristle Face help him? Standard 3, Benchmark 3
3. How do election campaigns differ today from when Lute was running for Sheriff? Standard 2, Benchmark 4
1. Hold a class election and design a campaign poster. Standard 3, Benchmark 4
2. Research different breeds of dogs. Discuss the different breeds and what they are trained to do. Standard 2, Benchmark 4
3. Set up a General Store with items and prices you think would be in a general store in the early 1900s. Standard 5, Benchmark 3