The Special Collections and Archives
Access: Many of the archival and manuscript holdings are temporarily closed to the public. Please contact Special Collections and Archives personnel for research assistance and the latest information regarding the availability of collections. Driving directions.
Fall 2012 Hours
Reception desk: Monday-Friday 8:00 - 5:00
Reading room: Monday-Friday from 11:00 - 3:00.
Phone and Email: The Special Collections and Archives may be reached by telephone at (620) 341-6431, by email.
To contact an individual at the Special Collections and Archives, click here.
Mail: The Special Collections and Archives may be reached by campus mail at Special Collections and Archives, Emporia State University, Box 4051, 1200 Commercial St., Emporia, Kansas 66801.
Send a Research Request to the Special Collections and Archives:
Using the Collections: Researchers are required to fill out a researcher registration form, and agree to follow the rules for the use of the Special Collections and Archives collections. Access to some materials is restricted in accordance with the Kansas Open Records Act.
Reference Services: In addition to helping on-site visitors, Special Collections and Archives staff will respond to questions by mail, telephone, or email.
UNITED STATES COPYRIGHT LAW (U.S.C. TITLE 17) CONTROLS THE PHOTOCOPYING OR OTHER REPRODUCTION AND USE OF COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL
- Emporia State University Archives provides access to its collections in support of education and scholarship. Some materials in archival collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). Additionally, the use or reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, and ESU policy. Written permission of the copyright owner(s) is required for any transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use.
- Copyright ownership and other use restrictions of archival materials may be difficult or even impossible to ascertain. If possible, ESU Archives may provide information about copyright owners and other restrictions. ESU Archives may not own rights to material in its collections. It is the user’s obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the Archives.
- “Self-serve” copiers are not made available to patrons in Special Collections and Archives.
- Researchers may request copies of material from collections by completing and submitting a Duplication Request form.
- The Curator, Assistant Archivist or Archives Assistant must approve each duplication request. Student Assistants are not able to approve requests.
- Bound materials, including books, pamphlets, journals, scrapbooks, diaries, etc. are not eligible to be photocopied due to preservation concerns. These items may be photographed or scanned using an overhead scanner.
- All copies are provided only for the patron’s private study, scholarship or research use.
- Should copies be provided to a patron, this action does not constitute permission for the patron to reproduce or publish the copies or to quote extensively from the copies. Such permission for ESU owned materials may be obtained by writing to ESU Special Collections and Archives, 1200 Commercial Street, Campus Box 4051, Emporia, KS, 66801. Permission to reproduce, republish or quote extensively from material not owned by ESU must be secured from the copyright holder.
- $ .10 per page for photocopies
- $1.00 per original scanned, with a $5.00 minimum. The scanned files will be e-mailed to the patron or saved to a disc provided by the patron, at no additional fee.
- $5.00 per page of scanned printouts made on photographic paper
- Prepayment for copies requested by phone, fax, e-mail or mail is required.
Material in the Collections
Personal Cameras (film, digital, and/or video)University Libraries and Archives will consider requests to copy material from Archives and Special Collections with personal cameras, particularly if the materials in question are in delicate condition. Requests must be approved by the Curator, Assistant Archivist or Archives Assistant before any photographs are taken.
Personal Scanners and Photocopiers Under no circumstances will permission be given for University Libraries and Archives patrons to duplicate material from the collections with personal scanners and/or photocopiers. Patrons will not be allowed to bring personal scanners or photocopiers into the Archives or Special Collections reference areas; however, they may request scanned printouts and photocopies of material from staff.
Please contact Special Collections and Archives staff for more information on the duplication of materials in the collection.
Permission to Publish. Much of the collection is either in the public domain or copyrighted by Emporia State University. Where other entities own the copyright, or the copyright status is uncertain, it is the researcher's responsibility to obtain permission to publish. Contact the Curator of Special Collections and Archives, Ashley Todd-Diaz at 620-341-5034 for more information on obtaining permission to publish.