Sheryl Lidzy, Ph.D.
Associate Dean, Liberal Arts & Sciences
Sheryl Lidzy, Ph.D. comes to the Interim Associate Dean of the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences position as an Associate Professor of Communication at Emporia State University, specializing in Relational and Organizational Communication. Lidzy is honored to work with those who come to the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences for an education. Our College provides a broad array of majors, minors, certificates, and Master’s programs. As the Director of General Education, she is responsible for overseeing much of the coursework which is foundational to your education. When you have a question about the general education curriculum, Lidzy is willing to answer those inquiries for you.
Since joining the Dean’s Office, Dr. Lidzy has been involved with several campus initiatives:
- · Representing the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences professionally
- · Assessing critical thinking skills from the general education courses
- · Telling the stories of Hornets past, present, and future
- · Advancing the leadership effort: mobilizing others to tackle difficult challenges
- · Developing the marketing efforts of the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
- · Analyzing the state of diversity and inclusion in the state of Kansas
In 2014, Dr. Lidzy received the Oklahoma Speech Theatre Communication Association most prestigious award: Josh Lee Service Award for career profession contributions to the association after serving for several years including serving as president for OSTCA for two years. The award is given for career contributions to speech, theatre, and communication. In addition, Lidzy sponsored four communication students in the Fifth Annual Student Public Relations Competition in 2014. The opportunity for the students to prepare a Public Relations plan based on a client briefing was invaluable. The fact that one of these students was on the winning team and two students were offered internships for next semester is a testament to how well prepared the students were for the competition. In December 2012, she received the Emporia State University Presidential Award for Distinguished Service to Diversity. In May 2012, Lidzy received the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Annual Award for Excellence in Service.
OFFICE: Roosevelt Hall 104
CAMPUS BOX: 4010
Associate Dean's Duties
Director of General Education
• Oversees General Education Program
• Ex-officio member of General Education Council
• Approves General Education Substitutions/Waivers
• Monitors availability of General Education Classes
• Monitors GTAs teaching General Education Classes
LA&S Liaison, Council on Teacher Education
LA&S Liaison, NCATE Steering Committee
Chair, University-Wide Academic Advising Committee
Approve all Curricular Changes in LA&S