HPER Graduate Program
HPER Graduate Program
The graduate program in the Department of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation (HPER) at Emporia State University was the first Masters degree program in HPER in the United States to be offered completely online. Started in 1996, this program remains one of the most respected and well-known online Masters degree in HPER.
Students take all course work through web-based classes. Students are never required to come to campus, but are always welcome. This is a significant benefit for students who have coaching responsibilites, are raising families, or live in areas outside of the region. All courses are taught by faculty members with doctoral degrees and/or by faculty members who are nationally recognized in their fields. Students from all 50 states, as well as several foreign countries have entered and completed this degree program.
This program is fully accredited through the Higher Learning Commission and the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education. Emporia State University is a regional university within the State of Kansas Regents system. Students completing this program earn a Masters of Science (MS) degree in HPER.
The degree is appropriate for students interested in advancing their education, as well as for those students who need to gain additional course work for tenure or fiscal promotion. This Masters degree does not lead to initial teacher certification, but has the potential to be used for that purpose. This is dependent upon the state requirements in which the student resides.
Application Requirements for the MS Program in HPER
To apply for the MS program in HPER, the candidate must:
- Have a 2.5 overall GPA, as well as a 2.75 GPA in the last 60 credits of college work.
- Possess a degree in physical education or related field (i.e., health, corporate wellness, athletic training, etc.).
If the student does not have an undergraduate degree in physical education or related area, the student may be admitted on probation with at least 12 credits of undergraduate work in physical education. These classes must be approved by the HPER Graduate Advisor.
In order for a candidate to be considered, all application materials must be completed and received by the Graduate School at Emporia State University. A student wishing to pursue a Master’s degree in the Department of HPER is required to be admitted to the Graduate School and to the Department of HPER. The steps for applying for admission and the criteria used in determining whether, and under what conditions, a student is admitted include:
- The student must complete an application and send in the application fee. The applicant should complete the online application at http://www.emporia.edu/grad/admissions/
- International students must complete a different application for graduate school. This application may be found at http://www.emporia.edu/oie/
- An official copy of ALL transcripts must be sent to the Emporia State University Graduate Office.
- A resume or vita must be submitted to the Graduate School at Emporia State University.
- Two letters of recommendation addressing the candidate’s ability to complete graduate level work must be submitted. An online recommendation form is available by clicking RECOMMENDATION LETTER. The candidate should send an email containing the link to the two individuals who will complete the form. References will be verified upon receipt. If desired, instead of the online form, letters of reference may be written and sent to the Graduate School at Emporia State University.
All application material should be submitted directly to the ESU Graduate School:
Emporia State University
1 Kellogg Circle
Emporia, KS 66801
HPER Information for Prospective and Current Students
Contact HPER Graduate Advisor
Dr. Joella Mehrhof
The HPER Graduate Handbook provides a detailed overview of the Master of Science degree in HPER
HPER Graduate Handbook
After a student is accepted into the Masters degree program, he/she is sent a degree plan. This plan indicates the classes in which the student will be required to enroll, as well as the indication of electives.
Graduate Course Descriptions
These are the graduate level courses offered through the Department of HPER at Emporia State University.
Master level courses
HPER Graduate Program FAQ
Please visit this page to look through commonly asked questions. HPER Graduate Program FAQ