Skip to content

Department of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation

Frequently Asked Questions


Must I have a teaching certificate to apply?

  • A teaching certificate is not required.

Can I get a teaching certificate by completing this program?

  • This Masters degree does not lead to teacher certification or licensure.

Are GRE tests or other entrance tests required?

  • No entrance tests are required.

Must I choose one of the certificate areas or can I just choose the electives I want to complete?

  • Students do not have to choose a certificate area. The certificates are offered for those students who desire more in depth study in a particular area. All students are required to complete 18 elective credits of their choice.

What does the completion of a certificate area mean?

  • The certificate area is basically a grouping of courses in which a student may choose to focus academic interest.  The certificate areas are provided only as a guide. Completion of a certificate area does not lead to any certification or licensure in the interest area. In order for a certificate area to appear on a student’s transcript, the student must complete 12 related certificate credit hours, apply for the certificate area, and pay a certificate registration fee. 

How long will it take me to complete my Masters degree?

  • The average student takes about two years to complete, as the student is usually working a full-time job while attending school. Some people finish in one year, while others take several years to complete the program. The program must be completed within seven years.

Can I transfer graduate classes from another university?

  • Up to nine credits of graduate level work completed at a grade of "B" or better may be transferred to the ESU Masters degree.

Can graduate students apply for financial aid?

  • Graduate students are welcome to apply for financial aid. The e-mail of the Emporia State University Financial Aid office is

Are the university and this program accredited?

  • Emporia State University is accredited throught the North Central Association Commission on Institutions of Higher Education. The degree program is accredited through the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education, as well as the Kansas State Department of Education.

How much does the program cost?

Are there deadlines for applications to this graduate program?

  • Admission into the Department of HPER’s graduate program is on a rolling basis. This means when a student's application file is complete, the HPER graduate committee considers that student at that point. This also means when the program reaches capacity, admission to the program closes. However, for each semester, there is a final date for admission in which no further students are admitted. Typically for admission into the fall semester, this deadline is July 1, while admission into the spring semester deadline is November 15. The summer admission deadline is April 15.

What is needed to apply to this graduate program?

  • The student must submit official transcripts from all higher education institutions attended.  In addition, the student must submit two letters of recommendation and a personal resume/vita. The student must have at least a 2.5 overall undergraduate GPA and at least a 2.75 GPA in the last 60 hours of academic work.

Can a person take just one class and not have to be admitted to the graduate program?

  • As this graduate program is very popular and often reaches capacity before the final application deadline, rarely are non-matriculating students allowed to enroll in the graduate classes.  An inquiry may be sent to the graduate advisor to ask for clarification and/or status of possible enrollment.  Non-matriculating students will not be allowed to enroll in any class until at least one week past the starting date of the semester’s enrollment period.