THREE MINUTE THESIS/DISSERTATION
Three Minute Thesis (3MTtm) is a research communication competition developed originally by The University of Queensland. The exercise develops presentation and communication skills and helps graduate students writing theses or dissertations effectively explain their research to a non-specialist audience.
The Graduate School is sponsoring a 3 Minute Thesis Contest on Research and Creativity Day on Thursday, April 27th. Graduate students will have three (3) minutes to explain their thesis or dissertation and judges will pick the top three speakers. First prize is $500, second is $350, and third is $250. Research and Creativity Day is April 27, 2017 and the 3 Minute Thesis event will take place in the Kanza Room. Participants are also eligible to attend the free lunch and award ceremony and will receive a free t-shirt.
April 27, 2017 from 10:00 - 11:00 in the Memorial Union Kanza Room
Submission Deadline: Wednesday, April 12, 2017
Winner - $500
Runner up - $350
Third - $250
Rules - the following rules will be strictly enforced - no exceptions
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted (no slide transitions, animations or movement of any type).
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound or video files) are permitted
- No props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, lab equipment) are permitted
- Presentation are limited to 3 minutes maximum and anyone exceeding 3 minutes will be disqualified.
- Presentations must be spoken word (e.g. no raps, songs or poetry)
- The decision of the judging panel is final
- Communication style – was thesis/dissertation purpose and significance communicated in appropriate language for non-specialist audience?
- Comprehension – could the non-specialist understand the research?
- Engagement – did presentation make the audience want to know more about the topic?
Contact Dr. Jerald Spotswood, Dean, Graduate School, firstname.lastname@example.org, 620-341-5507.
If you are interested in participating in the 3 Minute Thesis, please complete the form below.
Deadline for submission is Wednesday, April 12, 2017