Communicating with Graduate Students
Responsive, ongoing and personal communication with graduate students is very important in the recruitment of graduate students and can be the difference between a student applying to ESU and a student making a decision to go elsewhere.
- Departments should have ongoing communication through a variety of modes (email, phone, snail mail, Skype, etc.).
- Answer inquiries quickly. Address their questions specifically and if you have time, phone them.
- After sending a response back to an inquiry, have a faculty member follow up with the prospective student.
- Establish a departmental policy on response time to respond to students - the sooner the better - but try to make it withing 24 hours.
- Go to the students, don't expect them to come to you. If you know they have an interest - contact them.
- If you can, have current graduate students send emails or call prospective students.
- Communication does not stop with an application - once you get an application, follow-up with a thank you for applying - once admitted follow-up with a congratulations and once they enroll, follow-up with advising and enrollment information.