Leadership is a key to success in life. The qualities of leadership transcend any organization or social institution, and are indeed the common thread of success in all facets of life, from the top of an organization to the bottom, from your professional life to your personal life, in friendship and in marriage, in parenthood and in the community. Greek Life offers unmatched opportunities to develop the leadership skills necessary to be successful in college and in life beyond graduation. Students learn the principles and skills of quality leadership through a variety leadership positions in their chapter and in the Greek community.
Leadership in Action
- Fraternity and sorority members hold the top leadership positions in approximately 30% of the Recognized Student Organzations (RSO) at Emporia State.
- The majority of fraternity and sorority members are involved in at least one other RSO on campus.
- Nearly half of the students taking classes in or enrolled in Emporia State University's Leadership Minor are fraternity and sorority members.
- Order of Omega hosts an annual New Member Insitutue each fall semester to promote community-building among the new members of all Greek chapters.
- Greek leaders participate in numerous workshops, educational programs, and retreats throughout the year to build their leadership skills.
- The Emporia State Greek community is a self-governing community, which means that the fraternities and sororities each have a governing council that develops and enforces standards and policies congruent with the missions and values of the member chapters. Greek leaders hold themselves and each other accountable to high standards of leadership, scholarship, and service.