What is Verification 2014-2015?
Verification is the process used by the institution to check the accuracy of the information a student and/or a student's parents have given when applying for federal financial aid.
Verification has been implemented to reduce error rates in applicant-reported data and to assure, to the maximum extent possible, that eligible recipients receive the correct amount of financial assistance. The Department of Education requires that a portion of the students who apply for financial aid at each school be verified, as selected by the Central Processing System.
Federal policy mandates that we verify certain items on your application before aid may be disbursed. The major items to be verified include:
- adjusted gross income*
- federal income taxes paid*
- number of family members
- number of family members who will attend college at least half time for a term during the aid year
- benefits received from SNAP (commonly known as Food Stamps)
- child support paid
- untaxed IRA distributions & pensions*
- education credits*
- IRS deductions*
- tax exempt interest income*
- income earned from work (for non-filers)
IMPORTANT: SEND ONLY THE DOCUMENTS REQUESTED BY OUR OFFICE. DO NOT SEND COPIES OF THE 2013 FEDERAL TAX RETURN. TAX RETURNS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE DOCUMENTATION FOR VERIFICATION.
If you are requested to submit a 2013 IRS Tax Return Transcript, you have the option:
- If eligible to retrieve and transfer your income tax return data to your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Process through the corrections process using FAFSA on the web,
- If you are unable or choose not to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool in FAFSA on the web, you must submit a 2013 IRS Tax Return Transcript—copies of your filed tax forms are NOT acceptable documentation. You can obtain an IRS Tax Return Transcript by using one of the following three options:
- You can download and print your transcript immediately at http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript
- Telephone Request available from IRS by calling 1-800-908-9946.
- Paper Request – IRS Form 4506T-EZ
If, at any time, you have any questions or concerns about verification or any other aspect of financial aid, we encourage you to contact our office.