Resources in Applied Linguistics & TESOL
These resources have been compiled and updated here by Dr. Salim Sehlaoui, © 1999-2009. Last updated: December 7, 2009
- KSDE TESOL Webpage
- SIOP Institute Webpage
- Kansas State Department of Education
- Center for Research on Education, Diversity & Excellence
- National Clearing House for English Language Acquisition
- NCBE/CAL Directory of ESL Resources
- Bilingual Education Resources
- Social Studies Standards
- ESL Standards and TESOL
- Math Standards and NCTM
- Science Education Standards
- Computer Assisted Language Learning
- Linguistic Funland
- Theories in learning and instruction
William Allen White Library, ESU
This link allows the patron to select English, Chinese, or Spanish - and then provides information about the ESOL Collection at White Library. The collection is cataloged in ESU's Kellogg Catalog. A search can be done on the catalog and the results may be limited to the ESOL collection by clicking on the "Limit this Search" button.
- Southwest Educational Development Laboratory
This one is not directly ESL-related but helpful in terms of getting at the "hidden" curriculum
School Demographics & Data
- United States Census Bureau
- The Rural School and Community Trust
- National Rural Education Association
- Linguistics Virtual Library at the Linguist List
- Library resources on the internet
- ERIC Clearinghouse on Language and Linguistics
- ERIC Clearinghouse on Reading, English and Communication
- The National Clearinghouse for ESL Literacy Education
- Jennifer's Language Page
At this site you can learn how to say several words and phrases in hundreds of different languages. The goal is to include every language, so that people will be able to say at least a few words to anyone they meet, anywhere in the world.
- Ethnologue Database
- Human Languages Page
- Languages and Linguistics at Carnegie Mellon
- Education Resources at Yahoo, including ESL
- Universal Survey of Languages
Note that only those marked with an asterisk are full-text journals.
- Contragram: Quarterly Newsletter of the Contrastive Grammar Research Group of the University of Gent*
- De Proverbio: An Electronic Journal of International Proverb Studies
- Educational Policy Analysis Archives*
- EL Gazette Online
- English Language Teaching Journal
- English Teaching Professional
- Internet TESOL Journal*
- Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research* with many articles on language
- Journal of Advanced Composition*
- Journal of Educational Issues for Language Minority Students*
- Language Learning and Technology*
- The Language Teacher Online*
- Modern Language Journal
- New York State Association for Bilingual Education Journal*
- TESL-EJ An electronic journal of EFL/ESL*
- TESOL Journal and TESOL Quarterly
- National Association of Bilingual Education (NABE)
- American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL)
- British Association of Applied Linguistics
- British Council
- British Library
- Internet Bookshop & publishers' catalogues
- Library of Congress
- Linguistics Association of Great Britain
- Snunit - IETN English Teachers Network
- Summer Institute of Linguists
Pearson Longman (US)
THE site for info on all human languages; fascinating and depressing at the same time
Multimedia textbook in neuroscience; read summaries of language disorders complete with video/audio clips of aphasic patients
- English Forum
Comprehensive web portal with a wealth of resources for students and teachers of English (ESL/EFL). Interactive Exercises, Message Boards, ELT Bookshop, Good School Guide, Web Directory, World News, Links, Cool Tools and more.
- The English Global Village
Here's a really fun place for students to visit! Check out the Cyberworlds for some great activities!
- The ESL Wonderland
Lots of great activities and information for both students and teachers!
Friends-in-English is for all those learning English as a second language...and for making friends all over the world....WELCOME
- Global Study
Guide to international education, including message boards and a directory of English language school websites in the United States, Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand.
Graphic Organizers Online
- The Graphic Organizer
Graphic Organizers, Mind Maps, Concept Maps are a pictorial or graphical way to organize information and thoughts for understanding, remembering, or writing about. Graphic organizers, mind maps and concept maps are powerful tools that can be used to enhance learning and create a foundation for learning.
- ESL Lessons
A great collection of ready-to-use lessons in 12 different categories. For use in the classroom or computer lab.
- Strategies and Resources for Mainstream Teachers of English Language Learners
- English Language Learners in Mainstream Classrooms--Teacher Resources
- Make notes to go home in English and Spanish
- Vocabulary Builder
Build your vocabulary with flash cards, dynamic test and games, for SAT, TOEFL, GMT, GRE and more.
- ESL Lounge
Free ESL Lesson Materials for TEFL and TESOL teachers. Grammar, reading comprehension, worksheets, song lyrics, board games, pronunciation, flashcards, surveys, role plays and more. Many levels. All free and printable. Also on site: Teachers' forum, TEFL Guide, Student site, ESL links, teachers' embarrassing tales...
- ESL Point
An online resource where teachers and students can get the help they need whenever they need it. Links to thousands of pages of ESL/EFL-related material, all categorized according to skill and difficulty.
- English Web Guide
A site with pages for students and for teachers including material to download; There is also a growing exercise page (click on link #2). Be sure to try the crosswords!
- ESL Independent Study Lab
This site consists of over 150 annotated links to high-quality websites, organized by topic and graded by language ability. Something for all ESL/EFL students and teachers.
- Everything ESL
Another good teacher planning resource
An alternative to ERIC
- John's ESL Community
Free class websites, free webmail, quizzes, puzzles, games, tutorial. One of the most comprehensive ESL sites on the internet.
- Dave's ESL Cafe
One of the best ESL sites on the web! Check it out!
A great site with lots of useful information for students and teachers. Don't forget to play Hangman!
- Isabel's ESL Site
Exercises and activities designed especially for secondary students of English: quizzes, tests, comprehensions, activities for several popular songs, etc. Links to specific efl/esl sites and other sites of interest for students and teachers of English. Student writings and projects. Homework assignment.
- Karin's ESL Party Land
Teachers can find lots of ideas for lessons and over 10 discussion groups at this excellent site.
- Nellie's English Projects
Collaborative writing project ideas on how to integrate technology into the classroom, with resources for teachers and students.