Early in the elementary teacher education program you explore the teaching profession, issues in education, and the nature of children in the classroom through the "Introduction to Teaching" course. Later courses build knowledge and skills necessary for successful classroom management, instructional planning, large and small group instruction, and evaluation of learning. Methods courses provide strategies for teaching subject matter content to diverse students in inclusive classrooms. When you complete your courses at ESU, you will receive a Bachelor of Science in Education degree. You also will be recommended for a Kansas teaching certificate in elementary education, which qualifies you to teach in kindergarten through grade six.
As an elementary education major, you gain valuable real world teaching experience by:
- Observing children in the classroom during your sophomore year
- Participating in group teaching in the Block 1 classes
- Conducting reading instruction
- Professional Development School experience in the senior year
- Teacher work sample provides a performance assessment of the future teacher’s ability to plan, implement, and assess instruction