Face-to-Face Distance Courses:
If you have any difficulty locating your class, please call one of the following numbers for assistance:
- Distance Education (Emporia): 877-332-4249/620-341-5385
- Emporia State University - Kansas City (Overland Park): 913-338-4378
- KCKCC Advising (Kansas City): 913-469-8500 (ext 3676)
- BCC Advising (El Dorado/Andover): 316-322-3163
- JCCC Advising (Overland Park): 913-469-8500 (ext 3676)
In an ITV classroom, digitally compressed signals make it possible to offer two-way interactive audio and video conferencing between ESU and one or more sites. Therefore, your instructor may or may not be in your specific classroom. However, a site monitor will be present to maintain the conferencing equipment. The Emporia site is located in Visser Hall 111. Students participating at other sites should contact the site for more information.
The online Course Portal is Canvas.
Please see the following links for more information about Canvas and Internet Courses:
Things to Keep in Mind:
1. Know Your Student ID Number:
Student ID numbers have been assigned to all ESU students for conducting university business including registering for classes and requesting transcripts. ID numbers are sometimes referred to as your "E number" or your "Banner Student ID".
Don't know your Student ID?
To look-up your Student ID, [click here]. You will need your user name and password (or SSN). If you do not know your password or did not provide a SSN at time of application, contact the Help Desk at 1-877-332-4249 to obtain your ID.
2. ESU Email
Emporia State University students enrolled in Distance Education distance courses are REQUIRED to maintain an email account through Emporia State University. Your new Gmail account has a vastly larger mailbox size, with no message expiration date. Gmail mailboxes will be 25GB, which provides 250 times more space for emails and attachments. Access to Google Docs, Calendar, Chat, and Drive for easy collaboration with peers and faculty. More effective integration with mobile devices. Many apps are available to link mobile device to Google's Gmail at no cost. For help on how to access your ESU Gmail account, click here.
3. Access BuzzIn:
BuzzIn is Emporia State University's web portal. Buzz In will allow users to personalize and customize displayed content to suit their information needs. Buzz In integrates all university systems such as Canvas, MyData, and StudentAccess. For help on how to access your Buzz-In, click here.
- How to View Your Schedule: Go to the Student Self-Service Links section on the Academic Life tab and select Registration. Then select Student Detail Schedule.
- How to View Your Account: Go to My Account section on the Academic Life tab. The total amount you owe the university will appear.
- Obtaining Access to the Academic Life tab: Only students in Active Status will have access to the Academic Life tab. If you cannot view the Academic Life tab and are new to ESU, please contact either the Admissions Office (1-877-468-6378 ) or the Graduate Office (1-800-950-4723 ) to check on your admission status.
4. Verifying/Updating Your Contact Information:
- Login to BuzzIn
- Select the Academic Life tab.
- Select any links under Registration Tools.
- Select the Personal Information tab.
- Select the appropriate link to verify your address, phone, and email address.
- Check to see if you have provided us with a day-time phone number. This is important so that we can contact you regarding class cancellations and any important items affecting your enrollment.
- If incorrect, please call 1-877-332-4249 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your updated information. Be sure to include your Student ID when contacting us.
5. Order Your Textbooks from the Memorial Union Bookstore:
Textbooks are available through the Memorial Union Bookstore. You can order them online, by phone, or in person. Please visit the online textbook system at http://emporia.bkstore.com. For more information call (620) 341-5214 , or email email@example.com.
6. Email your Instructor 1-2 Weeks Prior to Class (Internet Students Only)
You can locate your instructor’s email and/or other contact information by:
- Visiting the course description page of your course in the online course catalog
- Use the online Faculty/Staff Directory or Office Directory
- Call Distance Education at 1-877-332-42491-877-332-4249 and we will direct your call to the correct department.
7. Pay Your Tuition & Fees Before Class Begins:
Visit the fee payment process in detail at http://www.emporia.edu/busaff/student-information/tuition-payment-options.html
8. On the First Day of Class - Attend Class or Login to Canvas:
Canvas is the course portal through which all online courses are ESU are delivered. You can access Canvas directly through BuzzIn. Login to BuzzIn and click on the Canvas Link located on the right. For help with Canvas, please click on the Canvas Help Link.
- Quick-Start documents will help you get started with Canvas: Getting Started with Canvas plus Canvas Student Guide
9. Maintain Your Computer Equipment and Virus/Spyware Protection:
Computers are used for coursework, research, and communicating with instructors. Please visit the computer recommendations.
10. View Your Grades Online:
Login to BuzzIn, go to the Academic Life tab, Student Records tab, and select the correct term under Final Grades.
11. Familiarize Yourself with ESU's Drop, Withdrawal, & Refund Policies:
Any student who wishes to drop, add, or withdraw from a course offered through Distance Education must make the request in writing or by telephone to the Distance Education office. Students may also use the online drop/withdraw form. University Policies, refunds and collection policies.