Kay Alden Creative Writing Scholarship
One annual grant of $1000 shall be awarded to an outstanding Emporia State junior, senior, or graduate student who demonstrates significant talent and ability as a creative writer (fiction, poetry, drama, and/or creative nonfiction). The creative writing faculty will create a panel of judges to select the winner.
Guidelines for submission:
- Submit a body of work of three previously written pieces in any genre. Each individual piece should not exceed twenty-five pages.
- Students may submit multiple entries in any of these genres: poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction. Entries must follow the guidelines on the AWP website (provide link)
- On each submitted piece, student must include their full name, local address, local phone, student I.D. number, and title of the work.
- Along with the writing sample, applicants must include a short letter addressing current academic progress and future plans as a student and a writer.
- All the work submitted should be placed in an envelope with the student’s name on the front.
- The winner will be notified by mail and the scholarship awarded at the Creative Writing Scholarship, date TBA.
- All entries for this scholarship will automatically be entered into consideration for the AWP Intro Journals Project contest.