Kay Alden Creative Writing Scholarship
One annual grant of $1000 shall be awarded to an outstanding Emporia State junior, senior, or graduate student who demonstrates significant talent and ability as a creative writer (fiction, poetry, drama, and/or creative nonfiction). The creative writing faculty will create a panel of judges to select the winner.
Guidelines for submission:
1) Submit a body of work of three previously written pieces in any genre.
2) Students may submit multiple entries in any of these genres: poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction.
3) All entries for this scholarship will automatically be entered into consideration for the AWP Intro Journals Project contest, and as such must be formatted according to the AWP Intro Journals Project guidelines:
- Each nomination should have two title pages as follows: the first should include the title, author’s name, permanent address, phone number, name and address of the creative writing program, and student ID number; the second should include the title only.
- Submitted works must be unpublished and may not be under consideration elsewhere for the duration of the contest.
- No piece may exceed 25 pages.
- The author’s name should not appear anywhere on the manuscript except on the first title page.
- Prose must be double-spaced and typed or printed on a letter-quality printer. Poetry only may be single-spaced.
4) Along with the writing sample, applicants must include a short letter addressing their current academic progress and future plans as a student and a writer.
5) All the work submitted should be placed in an envelope with the student’s name on the front and turned in to the English, Modern Languages, and Journalism department by 5 p.m. Friday, November 20, 2015.
The winner will be notified by mail and the scholarship awarded at a later date.
Copies of this information are available at the English, Modern Languages, and Journalism office in 404 Plumb Hall.