AWP Intro Journals Project
The Creative Writing Program invites currently enrolled students in creative writing to submit 1-3 poems, 1 short story, and/or 1 non-fiction work for consideration for an award nomination by the Associated Writing Program. The work must not have been published elsewhere and must not currently be under consideration for publication. Nominated works will receive final consideration for publication in participating journals. Both graduates and undergraduates are eligible for consideration. Work submitted for AWP consideration may also be simultaneously submitted for consideration for other ESU English department scholarship awards, and work submitted for the Kay Alden or Green Wyrick Creative Writing Scholarships will automatically be considered for this award. Three poems, one short fiction, and one essay/creative nonfiction may be chosen to represent ESU eligible creative writers.
Visit the AWP: Intro Journals Project page for more information
Guidelines for submission:
1) Translations are acceptable, but it is the translator's responsibility to secure publication rights.
2) Nominated works must be unpublished and may not be under consideration elsewhere for the duration of the contest.
3) No work may exceed 25 pages.
4) Each nomination should have two title pages as follows: the first should include the title, author’s name, permanent address, phone number, and name and address of the member writing program; the second should include the title only.
5) The author’s name should not appear on the manuscript except on the first title page.
6) Prose must be double-spaced and typed or printed on a letter-quality printer. Poetry only may be single-spaced.
7) A student who has won in any given year is not eligible to enter the contest for the next two years.
8) Paperclip all pages together and place in a manila folder. Drop off submissions to the front desk in the Department of English, Modern Languages, and Journalism in Plumb Hall 404 by 5 p.m. Friday, November 20
Failure to follow the above guidelines will result in elimination from consideration. Manuscripts submitted for consideration will not be returned. Winners will be contacted in the spring. Each will receive an award letter, publication in a participating journal, and a $100 honorarium. Winning works will appear in the fall or winter issues of Hayden's Ferry Review, Mid-American Review, Colorado Review, Puerto del Sol, Quarterly West, Tampa Review, Iron Horse Literary Review, and Artful Dodge.
The judges reserve the right not to nominate any work for the award.