Emporia State University
Zeta Chapter of Alpha Kappa Delta
International Sociology Honor Society
The Zeta Chapter of Kansas of Alpha Kappa Delta International Honor Society was founded on the Emporia State University campus in 1986. Its purpose is to "promote excellence in scholarship in the study of sociology, research of social problems, and such other social and intellectual activities as will lead to improvement in the human condition." The Chapter helps sponsor guest speakers and other academic events in the Department and on campus. Today, with thousands of members in over 440 chapters throughout the world, AKD is truly an international sociological honor society. The goal and purpose of AKD is reflected in its name.
A: Anthropon (mankind)
K: Katamanthaneion (to investigate or research)
D: Diakonesein (for the purpose of service)
As a result, Alpha Kappa Delta strives to promote the study of social issues and serve humankind, while at the same time providing an extracurricular outlet for students' interest in the study of Sociology.
Benefits of membership:
1. Official recognition of academic achievement in the field of sociology
2. Opportunities to participate in local chapter activities that provide information about a range of topics related to sociology
3.One year subscription to Sociological Inquiry, the official journal of AKD
4. Eligibility for paper competitions and other academic awards for sociological work
Requirements for memberships:
1.Must be an officially declared sociology major or demonstrate a serious interest in sociology within an official program of the host institution.
2. Must be at least a junior (third year) by standards of the host institution.
3. Shall rank in the top 35% of their class in general scholarship. If class rank is not readily available to a chapter representative, in lieu of class rank, students shall have accumulated the equivalent of an overall grade point average of at least 3.3 by a four point scale where: A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0.
4. Must have maintained the equivalent of a 3.0 GPA in sociology courses taken at the host institution prior to intiation.
5. Must have completed at least four regular courses in sociology prior to intiation (exclusive of extension or courses graded pass/fail).
There is an initiation fee of $45 that includes a lifetime membership in AKD and a one-year subscription to the official journal of the society, Sociological Inquiry.
If you have any questions or would like to know more about AKD, please contact Dr. Montalvo, the faculty representative for the Zeta chapter at firstname.lastname@example.org .