Rehabilitation Counseling Program
The overall mission of the Rehabilitation Counseling program is primarily to provide a comprehensive educational program to facilitate the development of culturally competent, professionally qualified rehabilitation counselors to meet the needs of individuals with disabilities. Graduates are expected to effectively provide and coordinate all aspects of the rehabilitation process, including: assessment; individual, group, family, and vocational/career counseling; job development and placement; case management; medical, vocational, and/or education training; follow-up services; and other rehabilitation services that will assist a person with a disability to reach his or her full potential.
Graduates of the Rehabilitation Counseling program will be able to demonstrate their knowledge, skills, and dispositions as they relate to the following primary objectives:
- Demonstrate a professional level of knowledge, behavior, and social responsibility as related to Rehabilitation Counseling and ethical principles in the public and private sectors;
- Identify the psychosocial aspects of disability as relevant to individual and sociocultural responses;
- Apply constructs relevant to human growth, development and disability in a changing social landscape;
- Differentiate and contrast the theoretical models of career development and use them in resolving issues of employment facing people with disabilities;
- Translate and demonstrate principles, theories, methods, and styles of relevant counseling approaches and principles to diverse populations;
- Employ principles, theories, and activities related to group counseling and working with families who experience disability;
- Be able to apply statistical principles to identification, utilization, and interpretation of assessment instruments and methods;
- Apply the knowledge and skills essential in conducting and using research as applied to program evaluation;
- Classify the medical, functional, and environmental aspects of disability; and,
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills to coordinate rehabilitation services, case management, and related community services.
To request additional information about our Rehabilitation Counseling graduate program please contact us at 620-341-5220 or email@example.com