How do I become a mentor?
- Complete the short application below.
- This application will allow you to specify your student preference, if applicable.
- Upon being matched, you will be paired with your mentee for the remainder of the student's career at Emporia State. If for some reason you cannot continue to be a mentor, or wish to terminate your mentor/mentee relationship, you will need to contact the School of Business Resource Center (James Willingham at email@example.com).
What are the expectations of mentors?
- Mentors should plan on devoting approximately one hour per month to your mentee. The expectation is that mentors and mentees will participate in at least one form of communication each month. Communication of any kind is acceptable: e-mail, phone, Skype, face-to-face, etc. At the beginning of each month, a suggested conversation topic will be posted to the School of Business webpage, and also sent in an e-newsletter. Topics will range from resume critique to professional goals. The student will be responsible for initiating these conversations.
- Complete two evaluations each year (December and April) to ensure your expectations are being met and your mentor/mentee relationship is effective. These evaluations will be sent via e-mail.
- Provide your mentees with honest feedback, guide them to develop skills that will help them be successful in the workplace, and paint a realistic picture of professional life.
By investing your time in the Mentor Program, you will have the opportunity to:
- Positively impact the future professional life of an Emporia State student.
- Gain a better understanding of young professionals entering the workforce, their interests, skill sets and academic preparation.
- Shape students into the type of employees or colleagues with whom you would like to work.
- Stay up-to-date on what is happening in the School of Business and at Emporia State.