Evolution of the School
Opened in 1964 and completed in 1969, Cremer Hall is named after Raymond Griffith Cremer, ESU's first business degree graduate.
Kansas State Normal School began offering bookkeeping classes to schoolteachers as early as 1868. Since then, the study of business has been intricately linked with higher education in Emporia.
In 1917, KSN began offering a bachelor's degree in commerce. The first graduate of the program was Raymond Griffith Cremer, who lends his name to the School of Business building.
Kansas State Teachers College began offering the Bachelor of Science in Business degree in 1952. As a result of program growth, changes in student interest and the needs of society, the program began offering several majors within the B.S.B. In 1971, KSTC was authorized to award the Master of Science in Business. In 1975, the name of the degree was changed to the Master of Business Administration.
KSTC was also going through changes. In 1974, it became Emporia State Kansas College. The name changed again in 1977 to Emporia State University.
In 1983, the Division of Business and Business Education, a component of the School of Applied Arts and Sciences, was reorganized into the ESU School of Business. Dr. Sajjad A. Hashmi became its first dean.
The school also provides financial support to the Small Business Development Center, the Center for Business and Economic Development, the Center for Insurance Education, and the Kansas Business Hall of Fame..
The School of Business awards undergraduate majors in accounting, business education, information systems, management, marketing, and business administration - with an available concentration in international business. Additionally, the School offers an M.S. in Business Education and an MBA - with an optional concentration in accounting or information systems.