INCOMING FRESHMAN STUDENT
If you will graduate from high school or receive your GED in December 2013 or May/June 2014 (with or without college credit), you’re a freshman. Also, if you graduated from high school, or received your GED before 2013, but you won’t have 24 or more hours of college credit earned after your graduation date, you’re a freshman.
- Fill out the application for admission.
- Pay the $30 application fee
- Have your ACT or SAT scores sent to ESU (students under the age of 21 only)
- Have your high school transcript or GED test scores sent to ESU
- Send transcripts from any college credit you have earned
If you are 21 or over and have graduated from an accredited high school or received an overall GED score of 2550, with subscores of 510 or higher, you will be admitted to ESU. If you took the test prior to July 1, 2002, contact the Admissions Office for the previous score levels.
If you’re under 21, the following information is for you.
Emporia State, along with the other five Kansas Regents Universities, has been following Qualified Admissions standards since August of 2001. You will automatically be admitted to Emporia State by meeting ONE of these requirements.
- Achieve an ACT Score of 21 or above, or a verbal+math SAT score of 980 or above.
- Rank in the top one-third of your high school’s graduating class.
- Complete the pre-college curriculum with at least a 2.0 Grade Point Average.
Students from out of state must have at least a 2.5 Grade Point Average on a comparable curriculum
For students graduating from high school in December 2013, or May 2014, the Precollege Curriculum is listed below:
- 4 approved units of English; one unit taken each year of high school
- 3 units of Natural Science; one unit must be Chemistry or Physics
- 3 units of Math; Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II or any math course that has Algebra II as a prerequisite.
- 3 units of Social Science; one unit of US History, 1/2 unit of US Government, 1/2 unit of World History, World Geography or International Relations. There is a list of additional courses that may be used to complete the requirement here.
2015 High School Graduates!
As your senior year approaches, we would like to take this opportunity to remind you about the upcoming changes to the Kansas Board of Regents requirements for admission to all state universities in Kansas. Beginning Fall 2015, the following requirements will go into effect:
- 4 years of English
- 3 years of Social Science
- 3 years of Science, including Chemistry or Physics
- 3 years of Electives
- 3 years of Math – Algebra I, II and Geometry AND achieve at least a 22 Math Subscore on the ACT*
*If you haven’t taken the ACT yet, or scored below a 22 Math Subscore, be sure to enroll in a 4th year of math your senior year! One semester of College Algebra will count as your 4th year of Math!
You will be Guaranteed Admission to Emporia State with the following:
- You’ve earned a 21 ACT OR rank in the Top 1/3 of your Class AND
- You’ve Completed the QA Core classes listed above with a 2.0 cumulative GPA in those courses AND
- You’ve earned a 22 Math Subscore OR completed a 4th year of Math.
- If you enroll in college courses during high school, it is also required that you achieve a 2.0 GPA or higher in those courses.
If you feel that you may not meet the requirements, call us at 877.468.6378 to discuss other options for admission to Emporia State University!
In May 2014, students applying for admission to Emporia State will be able to "self-report" the courses they have completed, the grades earned, courses in which they are enrolled their senior year, ACT scores and Class Rank. If you have already started the application process, we will provide a link in May so that you can send us your course information!
Best wishes for an outstanding senior year! We look forward to working with you!
GO HORNETS! Stingers Up!